"Bitter gourd has excellent medicinal virtues. It is antidotal, antipyretic tonic, appetizing, stomachic, antibilious and laxative." Source
But not everyone like the taste of bitter gourd. Someone even told me that he will feel dizziness after eating bitter gourd. Haha. Hard to believe. So, I decided to take up the challenge. The result? He finished 3-4 stuffed bitter gourds. :)
Here is the recipe.
Preparing the stuffed bitter gourd....
1) Wash and cut the bitter gourd into 1 inch thickness rings.
2) Remove the center part of the bitter gourd.
3) Do not wash the bitter gourd again, else the filling will not stick to the bitter gourd.
4) Fill with fish and meat paste.
5) Pan fry both side of the bitter gourd until slightly browned.
6) Remove and set aside.
Preparing the gravy....
1) Remove some oil if it is too much. With the frying oil, stir fry minced garlic, minced shallot and minced ginger until fragrant.
2) Add in fermented bean paste, light soy sauce, pepper, sugar and water.
3) Place the bitter gourd and cook until it is soft.
4) Take out the bitter gourd.
5) Thicken the sauce with corn flour and drizzle on the bitter gourd.