Yesterday is Winter Solstice. I discovered a healthy tang yuan recipe so I decided to give it a try. It is not Phin Zhe first time making tang yuan, but it is the first time he ate some. It uses only two simple ingredients and the texture is very nice.
200g orange sweet potatoes/purple sweet potatoes/chinese yam
100g lotus root powder
1. Roughly mash the lotus root powder.
2. Steam the sweet potatoes/chinese yam and mash with a fork.
3. Add the lotus root powder to the mashed sweet potatoes or chinese yam.
4. If you want extra sweetness, add some brown sugar at this point.
5. Mix well and knead a little bit until the lotus root powder can not be seen. Add a bit of warm water if needed.
6. Roll into ball shapes.
7. Bring a pot of water to boil. Put in the tang yuan, cook until it is floating on the water.
8. Serve with pandan ginger sugar water or sweet soy milk.