Monday, September 7, 2009

Jelly Mooncake Recipe

With no indications, my hard disk submitted resignation letter to me two hours after my previous post. Even tough I have most of my data backup, but I still lost some of the recent works. So, no more jelly mooncake photos to share(see previous post for photos). :( Anyway, here is the recipe that I have promised earlier.

Egg Yolk(Make about 50)
=======================
Ingredients:
50g lotus paste
250 water
1/2 tbsp agar-agar
100g sugar
90g fresh milk
1/4 tsp salt

Method:
Mix all the ingredients and bring to boil. Add few drops of orange coloring. Pour the mixture into the mould. Remove from the mould when it is set.

Filling(Make about 24)
======================
Ingredients:
240g fresh mango paste/sweet corn paste(canned)/red bean paste/lotus paste
480ml coconut milk
130-150g sugar
1tbsp agar-agar powder
100ml fresh milk
1/4 tsp salt

Method:
Mix all the ingredients and bring to boil. Pour the mixture into the small mooncake mould and place the egg yolk in the center. Remove from the mould when it is set.

Mooncake skin(Make about 24)
============================
Ingredients:
21/2 tbsp agar-agar powder
2l pandan flavoured water(Boiled water with pandan leaves)
120-150g sugar
4 tbsp condensed milk 4

Mango filling: mango essence(optional) and yellow colorings
Sweet corn filling: green colorings
red bean filling: rose essence(optional) and red colorings
Caramel lotus filling: 4 tbsp instant nescafe

Method:
Mix all ingredients and bring to boil. Add related flavours and colorings. Pour the mixture into the big mooncake mould until 80% full. Slowly put in the filling when the mixture is half set. Remove from mould when set.

9 comments:

San San said...

Hi Soo Sean,

WOW! I love your jelly mooncakes! It makes me wanna try out myself. Can you please share if the ingredients can be divided into half since I'm not going to make like 20 or more boxes? Thanks.

soo sean said...

Hi Melody,

Yes, you can use half ingredients and make 10 boxes or you can make only 2 flavours, which will also give you 10 boxes.

Anonymous said...

Dear Soo Sean,

Can I know where you bought the mango paste? Can we DIY? Does mango paste refers to mango flesh or same as mango puree? Sorry if I'm asking a silly question because I am very new in making this and is totally lost. :-P

I saw from Sun Lik but the lady asked me why I need 240g which is too much because according to her, just add a little bit will do. They do sell 50g mango paste in a small plastic container.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards,
Ling

soo sean said...

Hi Ling,

It is 240g from flesh mango, blend it! If your blender can not blend the mango alone, blend it together with the coconut milk.

Let me know the result ya! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Soo Sean,

For the filling using "sweet corn paste (canned)", are you referring to the cream sweet corn (canned type)? Thanks. Emily.

Anonymous said...

Dear Soo Sean,

I tried making the jelly mooncake yesterday but it was big failure! :'-(

1) The internal filling was not harden, very very very soggy. (The outer layer was like agar agar texture but the inner was very very soggy. Don't understand why)

2) The mooncake skin - a lot of white powder residue floating up after it boils. I tried to filter it but it does not help much.

Soo Sean, pls help! What is wrong? Could it be I'm using half ingredients?

Thank you.

Regards,
Ling

soo sean said...

Hi Ling,

I am sorry to hear that. No worry, I am all ready to help. :)

I don't think it is because you use half the ingredients, because you are cutting everything half right. For the inner filling, did you use enough agar-agar powder? You have to blend the ingredient until it is very smooth. If it is not smooth enough, it is too "heavy" and it can not hardened. It is not harden at all or just not hard enough? You are right that the inner filling is not agar-agar texture. You can also put it in the refrigerator(or even freezer) while you are preparing the outer skin.

As for the outer skin, did you use maximum fire to cook? I use medium fire and turn off the fire once it is boiling. It takes longer to cook with medium fire but the pandan flavour will be stronger and try not to boil it for long, turn off the fire once it is cooked. Mix the ingredient with cold water and bring it to boil. Do not add the ingredient to hot water. Keep stirring until it boil!

Post me more questions if you have. I would like to see you making succesful jelly mooncake. :)

Anonymous said...

Dear Soo Sean,

Thanks for taking time to advice me even on Sunday. =) Really appreciate that. =)

As I opt for half of the ingredients, thus I used 1/2 tbsp agar agar powder (recipe calls for 1 tbsp). I used mango paste that was bought from the baking supply shop since I don't have a blender. For the filling, the outer part was hard but when I slice it, the inner part was very soggy. Is the filling supposed to be so soggy?

I used medium fire too but when it starts to boil, those white powder residue starts floating up. I turned off the fire immediately & saw the white powder residue floated all over.

What I did was I put in all the pandan leaves into the water and starts cooking, then when the pandan water started boiling, I off the flame and measure the water to ensure I have 1 litre water remaining. Then I on the fire and add in the agar agar powder, sugar and condensed milk until it boils. Could this be the reason why there were those white powder residue floating up? Oh, sorry for asking, why we need to add in condensed milk? =P

Thank you so much and have a great Sunday. =D

Regards,
Ling

soo sean said...

Dear Ling,

If you use mango paste from the shop, then you should cut the quantity of the mango paste(as it is very concentrated) and the quantity of the sugar(as it is very sweet). I think if you reduce the mango paste, then it should be able to harden. Before you pour the filling to the mould, you can put a drop on a plate and check if it can harden. If it can not, then add more agar-agar powder.

Can you try cooking the pandan leave water earlier? I am not 100% sure, but I think the agar-agar powder can not melt in hot water. The condensed milk is to replace sugar and the color of the skin will look nicer with condensed milk, not the sharp red/yellow/green.

Don't give up. :)